Originally this synagogue, which was
built 1911-1912 (architect: Ernst Dorn), was a private synagogue, later it
was taken over by the Jewish Community and with its 1,400 seats served
orthodox needs. Today it is liberal, but with non-mixed seating). It is
popular for its organ, the mixed choir and the cantor Estrongo Nachama.
||The building was
damaged but not burnt down on the Kristallnacht. Because it was situated
in a court yard it was feared that the neighboring houses would also go
up in flames.
synagogue and that in the Ryke Strasse were the first to be re-opened
after liberation in 1945.
Etchings by ©Hanah Thiede